The leaves are turning and autumn and the school holidays are now upon us… bringing with them plenty of time to get out as a family and enjoy the season and Hallowe’en. Here are 7 great activities you can do with the family over the next few weeks.
|Stunning autumn colours in the Mercantour|
1. Mushroom picking – although Hallowe’en isn’t a traditional French festival, something that is traditionally French is mushroom picking. Up in the forests and on the plateaus behind Grasse are usually good hunting grounds. Just be VERY CAREFUL with whatever you pick. If you take them to a local pharmacy they should be able to tell you which ones are /aren’t edible. Also check with your local mairie – in La Roquette Sur Siagne they host a ‘séance expertise’ every Monday in October / November from 6-8pm.
|Be sure to check all mushrooms before eating!|
2. Pre des Pitchouns – the ever popular kids playpark in Auribeau sur Siagne really goes to town for Hallowe’en. Your kids won’t be disappointed with a day spent on the trampolines, mini-golf, visiting the farm and getting into the Hallowe’en spirit. Pre Des Pitchouns
|Loads of Hallowe'en Fun !|
3. Race for Life – pull on your trainers and run for a cause. Akin to the hugely popular UK Race for Life, take part in the Odyssea fun run in Cannes on Sunday 27th October. Take your pick from a 1k (kids), 5k or 10k course. The race is held to raise funds and awareness for a Breast Cancer charity so grab a pink T-shirt and enjoy the festive atmosphere. Odyssea Cannes Details
|A sea of pink!|
4. Alpha parc wolves – the Mercantour is beautiful in any season but arguably most stunning as the colours turn from green to red. If your kids aren’t up to a big hike then why not take in a visit to the wolf park – Parc Alpha- in St Martin Vesubie who have a whole host of Hallowe’en activities. As an added bonus, if you’re kids are disguised in Hallowe’en outfits, they’ll get free entry on the 31st ! Apha Parc details
5. Perfume Museum Grasse – If the weather over the holidays continues to throw out the odd wet day take the family up to Grasse for a visit to the perfume museum and the other perfume factories where you can learn about the history of perfume, how it’s made and create your own scent! Grasse Museum, Galimard Perfume Ateliers
|Visit Grasse and her beautiful perfume museums and factories|
6. Sentier Littoral Antibes – on a beautiful autumn day it’s hard to beat a family walk along the Sentier Littoral in Cap D’Antibes. Stunning vistas out to sea, less tourists than in the summer season and a manageable 5km loop make this a great afternoon acticvity. Just be aware that if the winds / seas are high the path will be closed for safety reasons and always mind your step and watch your children. Antibes Coastal Path
7. Vegetable picking at Cuiellete de Rocher. It might not be an all singing all dancing pumpkin farm but you can visit la Cuiellette du Rocher and pick your own seasonal vegetables including pumpkins, courgette flowers and butternut squash. Be sure to check opening times as it's only scheduled to be open on Saturdays from 9.30 – 12.30 Pick your own farm
Visiting the French Riviera and haven't booked your accommodation yet? Why not check out our wonderful, centrally-located, self catering, townhouses and apartments sleeping from 2 - 11 people. All our properties are air-conditioned and are located on pedestrian streets within 5 minutes walk of the beach. We are a small family-run company so we are on hand for anything you may need before, during or after your stay!
Chic Gites - Accommodation Cannes